It only takes a second for a small child to turn on the hot water and get burned. Here are some tips to help prevent hot-water burns:
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature will help prevent accidental scalding and conserve energy;
- Don’t leave children alone when using hot water in the sink or bathtub;
- Fill bathtubs with cold water first, then add hot water;
- Check the water temperature with a wrist or elbow; and
- Mix the water to make sure there are no hot spots.
Following these tips will help you and your kids avoid getting hot water burns.