When it comes to your property, there are certain safety precautions that can be taken to help prevent fires. Ready.gov shares the following tips on home fire prevention:
Electrical and Appliance Safety.
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rungs or furniture.
- If an appliance has tree-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Fireplace and Woodstoves.
- Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
- use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Make sure the first is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
This advice will help prevent fires from occurring. If you follow the advice it will help prevent a fire from happening in your home. Have a good week!