As you are sprucing up your home for the holiday season, remember to keep an eye out for common holiday fire hazards, trip-ups, and other safety mix-ups.
- Bright lights. Remember to carefully inspect holiday light strings every year. Make sure to get rid of any frayed cords, cracked lamp holders or loose connections. When replacing bulbs make sure to unplug the light string and make sure to match voltage and wattage to the original bulb.
- Lights out! Turn off holiday lights when you leave home and when you are going to bed.
- Its about time! If you have outdoor lights be sure to get an outdoor timer so that the lights will turn off on their own. This will also help save your electric bill.
- One and done. Don’t connect an extension cord to an extension cord. Find out that is long enough for the job. Connecting extension cord to extension cord can cause problems
- Outdoors! When hanging outdoor lights be sure to keep electrical connectors off the ground and away form metal rain gutters. Use insulated tape or plastic clips to hold them in place.
- Sound the alarm! Be sure to test your smoke alarms monthly to make sure they work.
Hopefully these tips will help you keep your home safe during this holiday season!